Ask SAM: How do I dispose of used cooking oil? | Local News

Q: I live in Forsyth County. I have several gallons of used peanut oil left over from several Thanksgivings. How and where can I dispose of it safely? —GL

Answer: Johnita Campbell, assistant director of sanitation for the City of Winston-Salem, said “Forsyth County residents can bring used cooking oil and other household hazardous waste to 3RC The EnviroStation located at 1401 S. Martin Luther King Dr., Winston-Salem. Oil should be contained with an airtight lid to prevent spills.

3RC EnviroStation is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday.

Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities advises people not to pour grease down a drain or flush it down the toilet.

“Grease coats the inside of drain and sewer pipes. Over time, grease builds up until it blocks the pipe. When this happens, the drain backs up into the house. If the clog is in a sewer pipe, raw sewage can back up into your home,” the department said on its website.

People also read…

Q: I co-signed with my son for the purchase of his car, so both of our names are on the title. Now that it’s paid, what should I do to put the car in its own name? —LS

Answer: In fact, it’s quite simple.

John Brockwell, a spokesman for the NC Division of Motor Vehicles, said you and your son will need to go to a license plate agency with the title and photo ID, “to get the license signed. title to the son and have it notarized at the office of the agency.

Q: Can people who only use a cell phone receive reverse calls to 911? I would like to register for them, if possible. — Mo

Answer: Yes, Reverse 911 is available for people who only use cell phones.

If you live in the city of Winston-Salem, go to register.

If you check the box at the bottom of this page to agree to the terms, you will be taken to the registration page.

The registration page asks for a name and address. A red asterisk next to an empty field means the information is required.

Contact information is requested, including phone numbers and email addresses. The primary phone number is required – and this would be the number you want to receive alerts on.

You will receive an email to complete the registration process.

Q: I forgot some wet clothes that now have mold. Is there a way to get rid of it or do I have to throw the clothes away? – L/R

Answer: We’ve heard several tips for ridding your clothes of mildew stains.

The first is to dissolve two tablespoons of laundry stain remover in a quart of hot water (it doesn’t dissolve in cold water). Allow it to cool if necessary, then sponge the solution onto the cloth or soak the stained area in the solution.

Allow the solution to sit on the fabric for five to 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.

The second solution is for white clothes only. Mix two tablespoons of liquid bleach with one liter of warm water. Sponge the mixture or soak the stain in the solution.

Rinse the fabric thoroughly after five to 15 minutes. Do not use this solution on silk, wool or spandex.

The third concoction is made by mixing lemon juice and salt. Dampen the stain with the solution, then lay the cloth out in the sun to bleach it. After several minutes, rinse the fabric thoroughly.

July 14 column follow-up

Gale Ketteler, spokeswoman for Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities, provided additional information on water bills.

The city website, a copy of the water bill.


Write: Ask SAM, 418 N. Marshall St., Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Comments are closed.