Behind the Lens: Take a walk around the block, and look up. | The Examiner

news, local-news, Behind the lens, Examiner photographers

We spend a lot of time walking around the city, looking in shop windows and all about us. Do we look up and see the view of some of Launceston’s unique buildings? Probably not. With some researching before taking the building photos, I thought I’d take you on a quick walk around the block of Cameron Street. So lets start at the Cameron and George street intersection. The Holy Trinity Anglican Church, built in 1901, is a red brick Gothic-style church and making it a federation period building, although in a different style. It is an integral part of the history, culture and heritage of the city. The present building is actually the second on the site. The major part of the present complex was designed by Launceston’s master architect, Alexander North. Is is considered to be he greatest work, certainly his largest single structure. The Gothic details include gargoyles, turrets and gables. The stained glass windows include three memorial windows imported from England for the first Holy Trinity Church on this site, built in 1842. looking across the road is the Cornwall Hotel – AKA the Batman Fawkner Inn – and no this building was not named after the comic-book hero. Originally constructed 1824 by John Fawkner, famous as having been one of the founders of Melbourne. He was a most useful man in the community. He was baker, butcher, general storekeeper, and sawyer. The old hotel could also lay claim to many historic associations. Within its walls the first Launceston newspaper was published on February 1, 1825, by its Boniface, John Pascoe Fawkner, who afterwards became one of the founders of the City of Melbourne, and also started the first newspaper there. He instituted a circulating library, gave lessons in French, was lawyer, and pleaded for people at the Court of Requests. On the opposite corner is on George Street, the former Rydge’s warehouse, built in the 1880s as a three storey corer building. The carved statues in the niches on the middle floor. Windows have Greek Corinthian pilasters and Roman rounded windows. It is an Italianate style building with lots of classical features. Up the footpath heading towards the post office in Cameron Street is the former AMP Society building. Its faade has multi-coloured stone and blue and gold mosaics. Built in the 1880s it has a slate roof, and the AMP society logo statues in the middle. The Latin logo reads “amicus certus in re incerta” which roughly translates- a friend in time of need. Next door is the Post Office. This is a federation building, built in 1889 was designed by the Tasmanian Government Architect William Waters Eldridge was built in red brick with multi-coloured stone work for effect. The tower and clock was added between 1903-06. Australia Post has had a presence on the site for almost 120 years, providing postal services to a large portion of the general and business community. Look around the corner to see the Town Hall. The Town Hall is a classical building with the facade dominated by impressive Corinthian columns and a fancy pediment with urns across it. It was built in 1864. Its rival in town is the old Customs House down on the Esplanade by the River Tamar. At the western end of Civic Square is Macquarie House, and was built by John Sprunt for Henry Reed in 1829-30, which makes it one of Launceston’s oldest buildings. A box-like Georgian style four storey structure is a rare example in Launceston for the 1820s. Henry Reed a local merchant, had supplies from there, shipped to early Melbourne. This building now houses a permanent home for Enterprize in Launceston and gives entrepreneurs the space needed to develop their businesses. The building had not been used for permanent activity since the 1940s, and has mostly acted as storage space for the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, along with a restaurant based in its basement in the 1990s. Round the corner and into Paterson Street. On the left is the Methodist/Pilgrim Uniting Church, Launceston built built in 1866-68 and opened February 21,1868. After the congregation outgrew the original Wesleyan Chapel next door, which is now the church hall. The name was changed in 1982 after the joining of three congregations with the creation of the Uniting Church. The church has had three pipe organs. The earliest known organ was in the previous Paterson Street Wesleyan Chapel which is now the hall next door. Its builder and history are unknown. It was installed after October 1849, when a harmonium was reported in use and before its removal to the present church, opened in 1868. The second organ, built in 1880 by George Fincham, was later moved to Trinity Uniting Church in Margaret Street. The present organ in Pilgrim Church was built by the Adelaide organ builder Josiah Eustace Dodd (1856-1952) and is the largest of his instruments to remain tonally intact. It was built in two stages. The initial agreement with Dodd was made on January 4, 1910 with completion promised by December 24 of the same year. Walking along to number 21, Paterson Street is the Permanent Executors Building a example of a Victorian neo-classical commercial building. The entablature- embellishments around the windows are striking and fancy with triangular pediments on the upper floor, and rounded arches on the ground floor. It was built in 1887 with almost perfect symmetry with entrance doors at each end so as not to spoil the facade. So next time your walking around between Cameron and Paterson streets, have a look up and see some of the parts of these great buildings of Launceston – Paul Scambler, Senior Photographer Here’s a couple more to look at on the way. The Bendigo Bank, Corner of St John St and Paterson street, Launceston. Former ANZ building, corner St John and Paterson streets. The former Launceston Northern Club, now Henry’s bar in Cameron Street, built in 1858 Launceston Public buildings, state government offices in St John Street, Launceston Henty House, Civic Square, Launceston, Built 1983 by Architect Peter Partridge The National Theatre, which printing firm, Foot and Playsted is housed. St Andrews Church in Paterson Street.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/3BCHHnSbEHxXnTjG4rgZv89/54643ebe-c6cf-46af-bd6d-bc148964dcf8.jpg/r0_204_4014_2472_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Comments are closed.