Del State Police phone number. “Spoofed” in an apparent scam – WGMD
A Delaware State Police phone number for Troop 5 in Bridgeville has been spoofed at least twice recently.
State police said Monday night that a person was told they had to pay a fine for a sex offense.
Another was threatened with arrest for alleged ‘jury duty fines’.
According to the Delaware State Police, they never ask for fines, tickets, or bail. All these transactions are carried out by the courts, and never by telephone.
Call spoofing allows the perpetrator to conceal their number using a number belonging to a law enforcement or government agency.
The recipient of such a call should feel free to hang up and should never give out personal information or give in to pressure to make immediate payment.
The Delaware State Police provided these tips to thwart an attempted phone scam:
- Do not answer calls from unknown numbers. If you do this by accident, hang up.
- If a caller (live or recorded) suggests pressing a button to stop receiving calls from them, hang up. This can be a trick to engage you in conversation.
- Never give any personally identifiable information – for example, account numbers, social security number, passwords or PINs, or your mother’s maiden name.
- If a caller claims to be from a legitimate company, call them back using the phone number on a statement you have from them or on their secure, verified website. This is especially important if the caller asks you to verify personal information or make a payment.
- If you are immediately in a rush for information, be careful. You are not obligated to answer the questions posed to you.
- Set your own voicemail password. Some voicemail services are configured to automatically allow access to your voicemail if you call from your own phone. If a scammer spoofs your number, they can access your messages unless a password or PIN is required.
- Use a call blocking tool (contact your phone company) or a reliable app on your mobile device. There are different options for different platforms. Do your research and choose the one that suits you best.