FBI investigating ‘unprecedented’ number of threats against office following Mar-a-Lago raid

On Friday, the names of the two officers who signed the search warrant documents circulated online. The names had been included in a version of the search warrant that was leaked before the documents were officially unsealed. The version released by the court redacted the names of the officers.

The heightened level of threats follows a high-profile week for the office in which officers executed a search warrant on Trump’s property in Palm Beach as part of an evidence-gathering stage in the investigation. a national security investigation into presidential records, including classified documents, taken to Florida. . The warrant, which was unsealed and released by a federal judge on Friday, revealed that the Justice Department was investigating possible violations of the Espionage, Obstruction of Justice and Criminal Handling of Government Records Act, as part of its investigation.
In the days following the raid, violent threats surfaced online, with posters saying ‘Garland must be murdered’ – referencing Attorney General Merrick Garland, who ‘personally endorsed’ the decision to seek a warrant – and “kill all feds”. Additionally, the biography and contact information of the federal magistrate judge who signed the search warrant was removed from a Florida court’s website after he too became the target of violent threats.
In a separate incident Thursday, a man who was believed to be armed with an AR-15 rifle and a nail gun attempted to break into the FBI’s field office in Cincinnati. He was killed hours later after a confrontation with authorities. Although the suspect’s motive has not yet been identified, he was known to the FBI because he had an unspecified connection to the January 6, 2021 riot at the United States Capitol and because he had associates within a far-right extremist group, two law enforcement sources told CNN on Friday.

FBI Director Chris Wray addressed the safety of bureau workers in a memo distributed this week.

“Let me also assure you that your safety and security is my primary concern at this time. The Security Division is working across the agency as we continue to remain vigilant and adjust our security posture accordingly” , Wray said in the statement reviewed by CNN.

The FBI’s Security Division in Washington has advised the bureau’s more than 38,000 employees nationwide to remain vigilant when operating in and around bureau facilities, two law enforcement sources told CNN. federal.

The FBI declined to comment on any specific threats against bureau employees, but told CNN in a statement that the bureau “remains concerned about violence and threats of violence against law enforcement, including males.” and the women of the FBI”.

“We are working closely with our law enforcement partners to assess and respond to such threats, which are reprehensible and dangerous,” the statement said. “As always, we would like to remind members of the public that if they observe anything suspicious, report it to law enforcement immediately.”

CNN’s Evan Perez and Shawna Mizelle contributed to this report.

Comments are closed.