Guildford Dragon NEWS | The Guildford Dragon

By Hugh Coakley

There was a dramatic chase in Guildford town center on Friday February 4 as brave shopkeepers chased after a thief for several hundred yards before he escaped in a parked car in the bars of Haydon Place.

The thief had taken two phones worth £1,400 from the Connect2Mobile store in Swan Lane. Owner Ali Shah said The Dragon“I wish I had caught him and blacked out his eye. He would have had a good reminder not to fly when he looked in the mirror in the morning.

Ali Shah, outside his Swan Lane store, Connect2Mobile. He said, “I wasn’t scared because it happened so quickly.

The thief, dressed in a green jacket and black baseball cap, had asked to upgrade his phone and was looking at two iPhone 12 Pro Max phones before fleeing the store with them in his hands.

Mr. Shah immediately gave chase, jostling two men who had entered the store. He was joined by a member of staff from Headcase Barbershops opposite in Swan Lane. The thief ran towards North Street.

Connect2Mobile in charming and scenic Swan Lane.

Mr Shah said they were followed by the two men from the shop whom he now suspects of being part of a gang.

He said the young thief had “the most yellow eyes” he had ever seen and looked terrified as he ran away.

“He did not expect to be prosecuted. I yelled at him to drop the phones, but he kept running and looking over his shoulder,” Ali said.

He briefly lost the robber near Haydon Place, then saw him and possibly two others drive off in a gray Ford hatchback from The Bars opposite Waitrose.

A member of staff from Headcase Barbershops opposite the phone shop joined Ali Shah and chased the thief down North Street.

“I wasn’t scared because it happened so quickly.

“I called the police on 101 on Saturday and was given a crime number. A recorded message said it was best to report the theft online and that I would be contacted within 24 hours but I did not heard from them yet.

Ali Shah of Connect2Mobiles in Swan Lane said he felt safe in Guildford “but I will be more careful now”.

“If it happened again, I would continue to hunt them. I can’t afford to lose £1400 in seconds to wait weeks for the police to tell me there’s nothing they can do about it.

“I work seven days a week to legally earn money for my family.

Ali Shah, 41, who has owned a phone shop in Guildford since 2012, said he was robbed once in 2018 when his shop was on the High Street.

He said: “If I was in London I would never have handed the phones to him like this. But in Guildford I feel safer.

“But I will be more careful now, especially with young men.

A CCTV footage of the theft was seen by The Dragon and sent to the police, who asked us not to publish it at this time, and to the Guildford Business Crime Reduction Partnership.

Comments are closed.