Now Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Apple iOS: Here’s How It Works
There’s good news for Android users who were looking to upgrade to an iPhone but worried about preserving their WhatsApp data. Starting today, WhatsApp and Apple announced support for porting data from the messaging app on Android to iOS. The option will be available in the beta version of WhatsApp. It will roll out slowly and take about a week to reach all users. Last year, Google and WhatsApp announced that users could transfer chats from iOS to Android.
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg also released a statement on the announcement. “We’re adding to WhatsApp the ability to securely switch between phones and transfer your chat history, photos, videos, and voicemails between Android and iPhone while maintaining end-to-end encryption. This is of a much-requested feature. We launched the iPhone -> Android capability shift last year, and now we’re also adding Android -> iPhone,” he said.
For Indian users, this feature will definitely be highly appreciated given the popularity of WhatsApp in the country with over 450 million users. But Android users’ biggest concern when switching to iOS was often about backing up WhatsApp data. The end result was that users relied on numerous dubious third-party apps, which often did not do the job as claimed. On Android, WhatsApp data is backed up to Google Drive, while on iOS, it is backed up to iCloud, and there is no compatibility between the two.
The ability to carry the data will be included in Apple’s Move to iOS app, available on the Google Play Store. The option will be available when a user sets up a new iPhone using the app. Android users will need to have at least Android 5.0 and above for this option to show up. Apple iOS users will need to be on iOS 15.5 and above.
The best of Express Premium
When a user ticks WhatsApp data as an option in the app, the data will be bundled in a format compatible with iOS. Apple or WhatsApp will not see any of this data and it will remain encrypted. After the data is moved, when a user launches WhatsApp on their iPhone for the first time, it detects the data there and decrypts it, and all previous chats are restored. The data will include chat history, photos, videos, etc. from WhatsApp.
Transfer WhatsApp data from Android to iOS: Here’s how it will work, according to the company’s FAQ page
- Install the Move to iOS app on your Android phone. Make sure you are on WhatsApp iOS version 184.108.40.206 or higher on your new device. On Android, WhatsApp version must be 220.127.116.11 or higher.
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device. Your iPhone must be new or factory reset.
- According to WhatsApp, both devices must be connected to a power source and must be on the same Wi-Fi. Or the Android device will need to be connected to the iPhone’s hotspot.
- The user must then open the “Move to iOS” application on Android and follow the instructions on the screen
- Select WhatsApp on the data transfer screen. Press Start on your Android phone and wait for WhatsApp to prepare data for export. You will be logged out of your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap Next to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap Continue to transfer data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Now on the iPhone, install the latest version of WhatsApp. Open the app and log in with the same phone number.
- Press Start when prompted and let the process complete. Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your cats waiting for you.
According to WhatsApp, the transferred data is not stored in the cloud following the migration until the user creates an iCloud backup. He also notes that the Android phone will still have your data unless you delete WhatsApp or wipe your phone.
Users will be able to transfer personal messages, but peer-to-peer payment messages and call history will not be transferred. Apple’s Move to iOS app also supports the ability for a user to have all the free apps on their Android device ported to iOS. If a free app on Android has an equivalent on the App Store, users have the option of picking them up when setting up the new iPhone. Apps will be displayed on the home screen after setup, although a user will need to tap on them to ensure they are downloaded.
Keep in mind that the portability feature of WhatsApp is only available if you set up a new iPhone using the Move to iOS app. This means that if you have already set up an iPhone, you cannot go back to your old WhatsApp data on an old Android and just transfer that data. The only way to do that would be to wipe your iPhone again and set it up again as a new device.