Two SIM exchangers hooked up phone company so they could steal $ 16,000 in crypto

Kyell Bryan, 20, of Pennsylvania, has pleaded guilty to aggravated identity theft for a SIM card exchange and cryptocurrency theft, according to the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland.

According to the original indictment, in June 2019 Bryan, who was 19, conspired with Jordan K. Milleson, then 21, and others. The group has engaged in phishing and vishing to trick employees of an anonymous wireless operator into spitting out their login credentials.

As Brian Krebs reported when Bryan and Milleson were indicted, they were active participants in the OGUsers trading forum, which spawned similar phishing attacks against Twitter and others, usually for the purpose of stealing and trading. exchange social media identifiers. Leaked messages from OGUsers reveal that in 2019 Bryan asked another member to help him create a site that would look like the T-Mobile employee login page.

They used these credentials to perform unauthorized SIM exchanges, redirecting their target’s phone number to bypass the two-factor authentication process that is supposed to protect accounts. The SIM swap attacks are the reason AT&T faced a now dismissed lawsuit alleging negligence for not stopping them in 2018, and the method opened up a way to temporarily hijack the CEO’s grip. from Twitter, Jack Dorsey, in 2019.

According to prosecutors, after making the exchange, Bryan instructed Milleson to transfer cryptocurrency valued at $ 16,847.47 to the victim’s account.

The intriguing partnership turned into a mission to find Milleson’s true identity when Bryan and other accomplices suspected Milleson had cheated on them. After discovering his pseudonyms and personal information from another co-conspirator, Bryan attempted to crush him at home.

Bryan called Baltimore County Police, claiming he was at Milleson’s home address with a handgun, claiming he shot his father and threatening to kill himself. In the call, he threatened to shoot if he was confronted with the police, attempting to arrange the kind of dangerous encounter that has already killed victims.

BCPD could not find a gunman at the house, but officers spoke to a relative of Milleson, who told them about an earlier phone call claiming Milleson had stolen $ 20,000.

Milleson was sentenced to two years in federal prison and ordered to pay restitution of $ 34,329.01 in May.

Bryan is expected to be sentenced in January 2022 and faces two years in federal prison after a year of supervised release. As part of his plea deal, Bryan will be ordered to pay $ 16,847.47 in restitution.

Source link

Comments are closed.